The Lotus Room Brands
As a human, I have always been drawn to a cleaner way of life. As a stylist, I grew increasingly aware of the chemicals I was surrounding myself with on a daily basis, touching, inhaling them. When I made the decision to leave a large salon with a larger brand with natural ingredients, I knew that I wanted to take this a step further. Not only for my clientele, who were also concerned with these chemicals, but more so for me and my future staff. If I wanted longevity in a physically demanding career, I needed to protect myself from common irritants. No more headaches or dry, cracking hands! I chose the term "Organic Salon" to accompany the name The Lotus Room because we started with a brand that had organically certified ingredients and was super clean. In the three years we've been open, we've had some fluctuation in products and color lines. "Organic" is a term that everyone understands, and I strive to keep product lines that fall in line with this philosophy. While the only things that can be truly natural, organic, and free from all chemicals are homemade products and henna color, we choose brands that are closest to this while performing to an upscale salon standard. We hope our clients always feel good about making time for themselves during services, and that they can feel better knowing they're doing so with less chemicals. ~ Becca Fiske, The Lotus Room owner
First, let's look at three ingredients commonly used in hair color that are known allergens and toxins.
(Taken from www.originalmineral.com)
- PPD (paraphenylenediamine) is chemical substance that is widely and traditionally used as a permanent hair dye. People who are highly allergic to PPD have not been able to dye their hair with traditional hair color.
- Known as a possible carcinogen
- Allergies to PPD are common and reactions include dermatitis, reddening and swelling of the scalp and face
- In some severe allergy cases the eyelids may completely close and can result in contact urticaria and anaphylaxis
- Resorcinol is used as a coloring agent and is also commonly found in topical acne treatments.
- Suspected to be an endocrine toxicity hazard
- Suspected to be a human immune system toxicant
- Suspected to be toxic to wildlife and the environment
- Ammonia is a chemical that swells the hair cuticle so that color can be absorbed all the way through the hair.
- Unpleasant odor
- Many people become allergic due to exposure and suffer from itchy scalps and watery/red eyes while getting their hair colored
Original and Mineral (Color & Retail Line)
"We challenge the artificial norms of professional haircare with formulations that are both effective and gentle. Removing harsh chemicals wherever possible while including natural extracts and active minerals that deliver real benefits."
Original Mineral products are PPD, resorcinol, and ammonia-free. There are 99 shades of permanent color, and 28 shades of demi-permanent color, with true grey coverage and long-lasting pigments. Three minerals that deliver extra performance to all O&M Mineral CCT™ Clean Color Technology Permanent Colors are:
- Illite — Deeply penetrates allowing the micro pigment molecules to permeate and saturate the hair with color
- Kaolin — Works as a strong protector, it guards against color fade and ensures the color stays locked in for longer
- Montmorillonite — Boosts the health on the skin on the scalp and the hair, making sure it stays in the best condition while it's colored
Complimenting this powerful mineral mix is a blend of natural ingredients that nourish the hair and skin. Sunflower Seed Wax infuses moisture and shine, while Sweet Almond Oil gently moisturizes and protects the hair and hands.
The products are free from phthalates, sulfates, M.I.T., triclosan, and parabens, and are replaced with active naturals from Australia. O&M products are also gluten free, making them safe for those with Celiac Disease and gluten sensitivities.
Organic Way (Color & Retail Line)
*We are currently in the process of working the retail products in to our arsenal of take-home products that we stock on our shelves. For now, we offer the color line only.*
(Taken from www.oway.it)
"If you believe that our wonderful planet deserves to be saved and respected and you choose to reduce your impact by making responsible purchases // If you want to detoxify yourself from chemical agents full of aggressive, toxic substances by choosing products rich in organic, biodynamic ingredients // If you want to be seduced by sublime blends of essential oils, phyto-proteins and nourishing butters // If you prefer glass, precious, pure, infinitely reusable and recyclable over polluting, disposable plastic // If you are looking for a brand with a human face that purchases over fair trade networks and develops eco-sustainable projects // If what you're looking for is quality, consistency, transparency and enthusiasm, welcome to the world of Organic Way sustainable luxury."
Also a brand free from ammonia and resorcinol, Organic Way includes biodynamic ingredients, a fair trade philosophy, and green chemistry. This brand includes two color lines — Hnectar is PPD free and Hcolor has 0.06% PPD. They own their own farm, thus making it a "Farm to Chair" hair color! "We receive certified natural raw materials from Africa, Amazonia, Indonesia, Indochina and Aboriginal Australia, which we include in each of our products, thus supporting over 800 local communities." There are 95 traditional permanent shades in Hcolor series, and 34 shades of their "Hnectar" line, a gentle alternative that gives 1-3 levels of lift and acts as a treatment also. The developers, Hcatalyst, the first phytobutter activators fortified with rich, creamy shea butter and illipe seed. Their Phytobutter Lightener is a "nourishing, ammonia-free cream lightener blended with kukui butter and organic essential oils for a lightening experience that's gentle on even the most sensitive scalps."
The products are packaged using sustainable materials, and are never tested on animals. Also free from phthalates, sulfates, M.I.T., and triclosan.
John Masters Organics
A retail line of the purest form. Born from a stylist in New York, they're consistently meeting demands for a luxurious line of take home organic, salon quality products. We offer their yummy bath and body products, hair products, candles, teas, and brushes. We would be happy to order anything from their facial line for you, just ask!
(Taken from www.johnmasters.com)
All ingredients must meet strict guidelines:
- All products must be made with 70-100% organic content
- No sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, DEAs, MEAs, or TEAs
- No GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms)
- No animal testing
- No artificial colors, fragrances or fillers
- All plant extracts and essential oils must be certified organic whenever possible
- All essential oils used must be steam-distilled and not extracted with propylene glycol — which kills the effect of the oils
- All plant oils must be cold pressed, not heat distilled — which kills the therapeutic properties of plant oils
- All ingredients must be proven to be beneficial to the hair or skin
- All ingredients must be harvested in an environmentally-friendly manner (wild-crafted)
- All ingredients must be biodegradable as possible
Neuma (Retail Line)
(Taken from www.neumabeauty.com)
"Founded with beauty, health and sustainability as our heart — our philosophy is simple. NEUMA believes that professional performance hair care, health and sustainability need not be mutually exclusive.
ZERO synthetic fragrance, sulfates, parabens, 1,4-dioxane, phthalates, glutens, neurotoxins, aluminum compounds, glycols, formaldehyde donors, ureas, carcinogens and environmental pollutants — simply a genuine, sustainable brand.
- Renewable, beneficial plant-based, colour safe ingredients
- Certified Organic Extracts
- 95% post consumer recycled bottles
- 100% certified wind power
- 100% recycled fiber containers
- No Animal testing
Offering a full range of systems that deliver sensational results — NEUMA leaves hair looking and feeling more beautiful.
(Taken from www.naturakeratin.com)
Based out of Miami, Naturia is a keratin treatment with the lowest levels of chemical preservatives, and organically certified ingredients. We offer two strengths, Regular and Extra. The process is a few hours depending on hair type, and an incubation period of 48 hours after. It delivers more manageability, less frizz, and improves hair condition.
Pulp Riot is a fashion color hair color line created by stylists. It is not tested on animals and is vegan and gluten free. It contains no ammonia, parabens, PPD, or MEA.
A fashion color line that is highly pigmented and bleeds less with less fading, Arctic Fox products contain no alcohols, PPDs, or harsh chemicals. It has non-GMO plant based Proteins. Arctic Fox is 100% cruelty free and vegan, and 15% of purchases are donated to stop animal cruelty with two separate organizations.
Developed with the creators daughter in mind, this is a fashion color line that is created in small batches. It contains natural ingredients, including organic coconut oil, with a natural Zuzu-cranberry fragrance. And, instead of traditional packaging, they reduce 70% of their carbon footprint with their eco-pouches. The colors are creamy and long lasting.
Smooth Rituals by Simply Organic
(Taken from www.simplyorganicbeauty.com)
Smooth Rituals is a complete holistic hair restoration system with care products that work together to create soft, frizz-free hair that lasts 3 to 4 months. All without sacrificing the health and well-being of the hair stylist or client. Smooth Rituals is formaldehyde-, paraben-, methylene-glycol- and cruelty-free keratin smoothing system.
We invite you to visit each brand's website to learn more about each company and their story.